Re: Definition of the Artists B

 What acts does an artist "commit" that designate him/her as an
>artist?

How about:

"An artist creates physical or intellectual artefacts which are intended to
be evaluated primarily by aesthetic, rather than utilitarian or cost criteria."

That way you exclude writers of pot-boilers and creators of TV commercials,
but keep in the paint-splattering two-year-old. And frankly, I haven't a
clue how to keep out the paint-splattering, or even book-eating
two-year-old. I think we all start out as artists, and sooner or later, most
of us stop

On the other hand, if a book falls apart before you can 'use' it as the
creator intended, it isn't art because you never got around to evaluating
the aesthetics at all.

Jane

skazki@globalnet.co.uk