Re: book or sculpture

I like the word "bookwork" as a more general word, including artists'
books as well as other things. But there are certainly "bookworks" which
don't function as books. The punning part of my mind suggests a new
"portmanteau"  word (an idea Lewis Carroll used in the Alice books -
"slithy" being a combination of "lithe" and "slimy").  How about calling
something like this a "book-alike"?

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Claudia Stall wrote:

> This example, for me, would be a book look-alike.  It can't function as a
> book therefore, not a book.

"Function as a book" suggests that container idea, I guess - seems
worthwhile as a basic.  And maybe the idea that you normally can't
see/read/experience the whole thing at once, that performance aspect, is
also a basic idea.  So scrolls and codices both fit - how about tunnel books?

                     _________
|  Kerman  |   (Mayapple Press(/(
   \ ?? /       http://www.cris.com/~Jkerman
     \/