Re: Definition of the Artists Book

  In the interests of helping this discussion along I'd like to
introduce a useful distinction.  It is customary, in academic
discussions at least, to refer to a literary work, exclusive of its
physical medium, as a text.  Thus the various titles by Keith Smith when
in the form of sheets are "texts", once bound, books.  Needless to say,
the distinction is not rigorously adhered to, but it can be helpful in
making precise arguments.  I do not consider electronic texts to be
books.  It is an entirely different medium and deserves to be respected
as such.  In time I think a separate vocabulary will evolve for the
electronic media world and our current difficulties of "howdya call it"
will be resolved.
  I guess I am up to 4 cents now.
 Dorothy