Sewn Pamphlets

Does anyone have any suggestion for a way to "dress up" a sewn pamphlet?

My family will be compiling a cook book of recipes loved and shared by the
family, (I know it may sound silly) for my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary,
and it will be distributed to everyone as a useful reference and keepsake.
The recipes will most likely be printed on 81/2 x 11 paper, grain short, so
two/four recipes will be on each sheet of paper.  The family has done this
before years ago, and unfortunatly they were just stapled pamplets.  I would
like to make them a little nicer, and i'm sure there has got to be some way to
dress up a sewn pamphlet, ie: using better thread, or a diffrent sewing
structure than the traditional figure eight through the fold, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Jennifer G.