Re: ISBN numbers

>From my many years as a librarian, and unless things have changed greatly,
I would say that the Library of Congress attaches three numbers to each
book; what used to be the "card number" but now used to retrieve records
from a data base; a L.C. classification number and a Dewey Decimal
classification number.  They do not assign ISBN numbers.

For the ISBN number, the first one or two digits indicate the country of
origin of publisher; then a series for publisher identification and book
number, and the last digit is the check digit and is always a single
digit.  An X is used when the check digit ends in a  0.

Elspeth Pope