Craftsman Defined

>On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Dorothy Africa wrote:
>
>>   Just out of curiousity, is there a craftsperson on the list who would
>> accept this definition of craftsman??

It occurs to me that it is the mind (creativity) that divides a crafsperson
from an artist. If I were to rework the simplistic definition stated earlier
I would have to juxtapose the final two lines as follows:

 "A labourer works with hands alone.
  A craftsperson works with hands and heart.
  An artist works with hands, heart and head."

I think there are many craftspeople who produce fine work that gives them
great pleasure and they put all of themselves into the task. Add a touch of
inventiveness and creativity to those same labors and the work becomes a
piece of art and the maker, an artist.

John G. Henry - Craftsman