paper art

Some years ago I purchased a folded piece of handmade paper intended as a
greeting card.  It has bits of other colors of handmade paper, a small
amount of gold-colored thread and a small pearlized sea shell on one side or
what would be the front of the card when folded.  Folded it is about 4
inches square.

I wanted to have it framed as a piece of paper art.  I gently removed the
decorations from the one side and unfolded the background.  It had a
definate fold line that I idn't want to show so much so I tried a bit of
water along the fold and hoped it would expand enough to disguise it.  It
was only partly successful.  The paper is soft, about 1/8 inch thick and
light pink.  Any suggestions as to what else can be done to the folded area?

I want to replace the decorations onto the paper.  Do I use PVA?  Should the
entire piece be placed on a backing since the paper is very soft?  If so,
should it be acid free or it is not necessary since I do not know if the
paper is acid free or not.  I want to have it matted and framed but what
about the small shell?  Will it touch the glass and does it matter?

Please respond to me directly. Thanks so much for any advice.

Claudia Stall
Head, Collection Preservation Unit
San Diego State University
Love Library

         "Be kind, do good work, and touch the earth gently."