[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: craft
- From: "Dr. Brian A. Roberts" <brianr@MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA>
- Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:31:15 -0330
- Message-Id: <199803131202.EAA29714@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: The list for all the book arts!" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
well why not join in. 2 weeks ago our local weekly ran a full page article
on my bindery and the "repair" work we do here. In this piece I used the
word "craft" to describe what I do. Last week a local book collector took
great offence to many of the things reported because he obviously missed the
whole point - but - he did write in his rebuttal,
"I was interested in the article about book binder Brian Roberts and his
wonderful craft (that gaffe aside)."
So I guess from this that some people do not hold this to be a craft. He
goes on to decribe the work as "skilled handwork".
Good luck in defining this! I just enjoy working on the books.
"Whether you want old books made new or new books just made, call us - The
Best wishes to all and to all a good night.
Dr. Brian A. Roberts
Memorial University of Newfoundland