LC Numbers

Jennifer, I think maybe you are referring to Library of Congress Call
Numbers which determines where a book or other item in a library is placed
on the shelf. An "LC number" is a number assigned to an item that is
cataloged in LC's MARC format- Machine Readable Cataloging. MARC is a
standard for electronic cataloging (instead of written on an index card,
it's a database record). LC numbers *usually* begin with two numbers that
correspond to the year in which the item was cataloged (ex. my dictionary's
LC number is 94-30967. However, the publication date was 1995. LC created a
MARC record for it based on advanced information from the publisher, and
for those really interested, the LC call number is PE1628.M36- PE for
english language dictionaries, probably).

To obtain an LC number, LC would have to catalog it. I guess if you send
them a copy they will. I think if you register the copyright and send in
two copies with that, it will get cataloged. I'm not too sure on the
procedure though.

I was a cataloger for a few years, so I hope I got this information right.
Cataloging is fun in a weird way, you do learn really strange stuff like
picky picky rules and how to pay attention to detail. Hope this helps,

Tanya

>L.C. numbers are used by libraries as a means of catologing their materials,
>and dictates where they get shelved in the library etc.  The Library of
>Congress system is like the Dewey Decimal system, but of course uses L.C.
>numbers instead.  You don't "need" one unless of course the book is in a
>library, and then it would be up to the catologer to assign it one.  I have
>never been a catologer myself, I don't know if anyone on the list has been/or
>is a catologer now.  Unless you plan on starting up your own library you really
>don't need and L.C. number.
>
>Thanks,
>Jennifer G.

Tanya DiMaggio