[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
"We have no art"
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: "We have no art"
- From: Joyce Jenkins <joycej@MUSKOX.ALASKA.EDU>
- Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:50:27 -0900
- Message-Id: <199803142241.OAA26250@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: The list for all the book arts!" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Years ago I was a teaching assistant in Art 101 at the University of
Hawaii and I remember a film from that class called "We have no art." It
was a documentary about someplace where they did not have a separate
category of stuff that was "art" versus "not art," but rather tried to do
(and make) all things with grace and beauty. It is an attitude I liked
and I really don't worry about whether the books I make are "art" or not.
And no, I don't want to try to define Grace, Beauty or Aesthetics!
Petersburg PUblic Library