Re: Definition of the Artists

Is this going to be available to see anywhere in the northwest
(Seattle/Portland)?

>I am also enjoying the game of definitions, and agree with Steve Daiber
>that the realm of the artist's book is one more vehicle of expression.
>There is a form for every idea, and books, bookworks, and
>book-like-things are more tools at hand for the artist, whether
>traditionally used or not.
>
>Regarding non-narrative, non-sequential, non-manipulatable works that are
>called books, I too have a problem. I want the experience of reading, and
>the idea of pages--even if they are a metaphor--if I am to consider
>something a book, even though I will go to great extremes to include works
>in the category. I especially like pieces that stretch pretty far as art,
>while retaining a conceptual hold to the book. And I will always
>appreciate fine craftsmanship.
>
>Over long distance my writer friend, Michelle Miller-Allen, and I have
>just completed a piece that plays in this territory. From months of our
>correspondence I made a sequence of 74 collaged, painted, and
>drawn "pages", which, when tied together at their corners, build into a
>double bed. Michelle made a quilt and two pillows from our words and
>images using paper, vinyl, all kinds of mixed media, and fabric.
>
>While this is certainly a sculpture, I feel that the viewer participation
>(bending down, reaching over, moving the quilt/pillows, reading, reading,
>reading) also qualifies this as a book (bookwork, most likely). The quilt
>can be considered as a cover. And, when not installed, all the parts
>can be read up close, in one's lap. The bed turns into a series of
>accordion fold books when not completely dissassembled, and everything
>tucks back into a couple of boxes. (There's hidden structure underneath
>when installed).
>
>There's a "real" book version of this, with paper pages, head, foot,
>spine, cover, reading stand, box, but I'll always think of the full-tilt
>installation as a book too.
>
>Janet
>

> ~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/.\~~~/=
=2E\~

>          Janet Maher, Assistant Professor, Department of Fine Arts
>          Loyola College in Maryland, 4501 North Charles Street
>          Baltimore, Maryland  21210-2699        (410-617-5545)
>
>                (web) http://www.qis.net/~jmar/index.balto.html
>                (email)  jmar@qis.net
>
>             "Rise up nimbly and go on your strange journey
>              to the ocean of meanings."             --Rumi

        =8A Say that a hut,

        south facing in the hundred-mile winds,
        comprises ten thousand terrified hunks of stone.

                from "Sonnet for Constituents Not Permitted"
                        _Arms wide, eyes open_  by Annie Stenzel
leilx@olympus.net                       leil lucy alexander