Re: Derivation and "giving credit"

Dear Friends

        This conversation reminds me of a retreat-calligraphy workshop I
attended at Green Gulch Zen Center in California with Jenny Hunter Groat
about ten years ago. Jenny gave a lecture on Western and Japanese
calligraphy. She talked about how when a Japanese calligrapher grinds
her ink (using a stick of ink, a little water, and
a stone), she meditates on the lineage of her teachers-I learned this
from my teacher, my teacher learned this from his teacher, and traces
the line back as far as she can. The next day, our Zen instructor also
spoke of the importance of lineage.
        I think it's difficult for those of us who are self-taught from books
and observing and experimenting to have this same sense of direct
lineage. I find that I have collected my information from a wide variety
of sources and it's difficult to trace them back. I do think it's
responsible behavior to credit the source where you can but it isn't
always easy. You can see a photo of a book in a catalog that starts you
off in a new direction. The person who made that book may credit someone
else in the colophon but there's no way of your knowing that from the
photo. I think the more information that can be out there about the
pioneers in the field, the better we will all be able to understand our
roots.

in good spirit,
Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord