From:   Ken Ingraham[SMTP:keningra@frontiernet.net]
Sent:   Tuesday, March 24, 1998 7:16 PM
To:     BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject:        Re: B&W xerox transfer

I am not familiar with all Xerox toners or their compositions, but the
ones I worked with were essentially minute plastic particulates.  (Toner
is a health hazard when in its powdered, raw form.)  The majority of
copiers today work by electrostatically charging a transfer belt onto
which the powdered toner adhers according to where the charges have been
applied to the belt, which then transfers the toner to a paper where it
is "fixed", essentially melted in place on the paper using pressure and
heat. ( much like an iron!)  It would seem to make sense then that an
iron could work as an agent of transfer for photo-copies.
-first time post from a lurker, hope it isn't too off topic.

Ken