History of Publishers' Cloth Bindings

While you book cloth experts are on the line I'd like to pose a
question/request.  My meager information on the subject indicates that one
of the first uses of publisher's cloth bindings was in the Pickering
Diamond Classics series published in London in the first half of the 19th
century. The book that is often mentioned as perhaps the earliest is
<Quintus Horatius Flaccus> published in 1820. I have a copy of that book in
poor condition. The spine with its label is completely missing but the
boards are present and are fully covered with a smooth cloth that is now a
medium brown color.  In other early books in this series the spine label
was printed on paper and glued to the spine.  I want to leave the Horatio
in its present condition but I want to make a box for it covered with a
compatible fabric and bearing a copy of the label. And there's the rub. My
label is missing.  I have tried contacting the two or three libraries shown
to hold this book (OCLC) but have had no success locating a copy. I can
fake it from some of the later labels in the series but I would prefer to
work from a picture of the original. Anyone know where there is a copy with
a label of which I might get a copy?

Many thanks,

Sam Lanham
Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)