Chinese wirlwind binding

Hi,
        I read about the post mail "from scrolls to leaves" (Mar 9 by =
Oueerbook) and found a common misunderstanding of wirlwind binding. I am =
doing my thesis research on Chinese Book Art: Evolution, Techniques, and =
Conservation, so I read a lot of publications about development of =
Chinese bookbinding styles. Some early researchers like to refer =
"wirlwind binding" to the innovation of the sutra binding (accodion =
binding) by pasting the first and last leaves on a cardboard or a piece =
of paper.  Actually, according to the recent publications, wirlwind =
binding represented the transitional format of bindings from rolls to =
flat sheets and originated with reference books in the tenth century. =
Opening a long roll could be very tim-comsuming especially for a =
reference book. To overcome this drawback, the individual written sheet =
(with text on both sides, quite unusual in Chinese book history)  was =
pasted onto the paper roll at its right end like scales. It is also =
called "dragon scale binding".=20
        The only surviving example of the wirlwing binding, a hand-written =
dictionary, is preserved at the National palace Museum, Beijing.  A =
small book discussing binding styles, published in 1993 China, =
eventually includes the photo of this rare book and clears my confusion =
about this binding style.=20
        I am also looking for people who are interested in Asian book related =
topics,i.e. papermaking, printing, inkmaking and bookbinding. I would be =
more than happy to share my information and your opinions and suggestion =
will be welcomed.

peng peng wang