Re: Finding Fonts????

At 12:17 02/04/98 EST, Julia Weldner wrote:
>Now that I understand how to add new fonts, can anyone tell
>me where to find beautiful fonts (e. g., Old English or
>Celtic or anything you think is gorgeous) appropriate for
>printing out books of poetry?  (Commercial, shareware, or
>freeware are fine - I'm trying to find the most beautiful
>fonts I can, and don't want to skimp.)

When I'm looking for a font (i.e. a free font, of course), the first place
I generally look is the Internet Font Archives, at...

        http://www.ora.com/homepages/comp.fonts/ifa/query3.htm

...(which is the same URL I gave earlier today, of course). They seem to
have the most variety and number of fonts available, plus a good search
engine. Just type in "old english" (or, for that style of lettering, you
might also try "blackletter", "fraktur", "textur", etc. as well) or
"celtic", or -- as someone was looking for earlier today -- "greek",
"hebrew", "islamic" or "russian". If you're looking for decorative
initials, try "initials", "initial", "caps", "cap"... uh... uh... I think
I'm forgetting another synonym, but you get the idea.

Some other places on the 'net that I have bookmarked for free fonts (apart
from that ZDnet one which you pointed out earlier, Thomas, and which I
didn't know about) are the following...

        http://www.ragnarokpress.com/scriptorium/
        http://fontempire.host4u.com/
        http://people.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~kikita/
        http://swanky.net/brainstew/brain/fonts.html

http://www.comptechdev.com/cavop/aoe/button.html

http://web.idirect.com/~experts/font/index.html
        http://www.fontface.com/

http://www.fontfont.de/fffstuff/f_central.html

http://www.webxxiii.co.uk/fat/

http://www.geocities.com/~jandaweb/downloads/fonts/

http://www.comptechdev.com/cavop/aoe/index2.html

http://pages.prodigy.com/bombadil/fonts.htm

http://www.geocities.com/~grapholina/Fonts/thepage.html

http://www.itis.com/~wonko/kiwi/wonkofonts.html

http://gs1.com/UTF/UTF.html
        http://www.typeindex.com/

...mind you, these are bookmarks I've collected over the last couple of
years, so some of these sites might have moved or no longer exist. I'm sure
you'll find more than enough fonts to eat up your disk space with, though.

>I like the idea of drop-capitals or illuminated capital
>letters Thomas mentioned.  Can I use illuminated capital
>letters with a plain (all black) printer, or would I need a
>color printer for that?

Of course, you can print a graphic that's any colours on-screen, although,
naturally, it'll come out in black & white (or, rather, in grayscale) on
your printer.

And now, a story, courtesy the the TV repairman I had many years ago. He
had been off on a call to fix some woman's TV one day, two hours way out in
the country out in the middle of nowhere, because she s=said that it was
broken and would only display in black & white. When he got there, he
couldn't figure out what the problem was, as it sure seemed to be working
fine for him, but the woman said, "But look... see???" as she slapped a
tape in the VCR to show him.

The film was from the '30s.

Think about it.

And while you're thinking about it, here's a couple of URLs for drop caps
(although again, I don't know if they're still there -- I make my own these
days)...

        http://38.249.11.2/graphics/uwa-archive/iconsfnt.htm

http://www.westnet.com/~bpress/dropcaps.html

Also, if anyone's interested in the complete "Dance of Death" --
oooooWEEEEEOOOOOooooo =8o -- decorative initials by Hans Holbein the
Younger (circa 1523), I've scanned them and put them up at my web site at...

        http://home.istar.ca/~psymon/danceofdeath.html

As stated at the site, click on the graphic for any particular letter to
get a larger version which would be better to copy than the examples
displayed all together on that page. To copy the graphic (which goes, of
course, for any graphic on the web) just right-click (on a PC) or click and
hold (on a Mac) and choose "Save image as...". I haven't put together a zip
file of them all as yet, and am too busy with other things today (like
answering Book Arts messages<g>) to get around to doing the HTML and stuff
to put a link up there (I'll get around to it, I'll get around to it), but
if anyone would like them all in one zipped file, just drop me a line
off-list and I'll slap one together quickly and send it off to you as an
attachment (I think it's just under 200k or something). And sorry, Mac
people, but I can't do ".hqx" files or anything, although I do understand
that apparently the latest StuffIt Expander can do PC-style zip files.

Also, please note that I created these graphics for the web, and, as such,
their resolution is 72 dpi.

Now, go font yourself...

Ron :)

                       P  S  Y  M  O  N  ?  ?  ?  ?