The danger of Long-S's (not for the over-sensitive)

> There are many English words that can be read quite differently by a
reader unfamiliar > with  long ess, which resembles an "f." For those who
like Aarchaisms I suggests
> printing/writing out that delightful Shakespeare quote using a long ess,

> Where the bee sucks there suck I. . . . ;-)

On a similar vein (and not for the over-sensitive) I can top that one.  As I
say, my appearance on this list is a result of my wanting to publish
modern-spelling editions of the less well known or less easily available
Renaissance texts.  The Long-S can cause problems - especially for a tired
transcriber, and it is all too easy to type "wasted" when the text really
says "wafted" or vice versa.

The first text that I'm working on is Samuel Daniel's Sonnet Sequence "DELIA
with THE COMPLAINT OF ROSAMOND", and this contains a couplet which could be
misread as magnificently Freudian :

"Let none for seeming so, think Saints of others,
For all are men, and all have sucked their mothers".

I think it is a sign of my purity of heart that I have always, without even
thinking about it, transcribed this couplet correctly while transcribing at
speed.  When proofreading, however, I always think to myself "Ick ... I have
to be very careful with that one".

Thomas Larque.