Re: The danger of Long-S's (not for the over-sensitive)

>Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 06:51:21
>To: Thomas Larque <thomas_larque@dial.pipex.com>
>From: Sam Lanham <slanham@hctc.net>
>Subject: Re: The danger of Long-S's (not for the over-sensitive)
>

>At 08:26 AM 4/3/98 +0100, R. Williams wrote:
>>> There are many English words that can be read quite differently by a
>>reader unfamiliar > with  long ess, which resembles an "f."
>
>To add my story to this sub-string: We wanted to display our library's
copy of Samuel Johnson's dictionary as part of a language-related exhibit.
Since we are in Texas and enjoy our armadillo population I was delighted to
see that Johnson includes the little 9-banded creatures in his dictionary.
That would be the perfect place to open the volume for display. Then I
noticed he likens the armadillo to a "sucking pig." It was tempting, but I
chickened out and went with the definition of corn.

Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)