Re: The danger of Long-S's (not for the over-sensitive)

  All this reminds me of a related problem usually encountered at
tourist shopping areas in signs for such things as "Ye Olde Tea Shoppe",
etc.  Old English, Middle English, and all English in between never had
a definite article "ye" what it had was the old Germanic runic letter
thorn, pronounced "th", which looked something like our modern letter p
as used in the Old English definite article "pa".   In written form the
top of the p tended not to get closed, making it look like y.  The rest
we know.
  As for the f word.  I recall some linguist friend saying it does come
from old Germanic, as all good cuss words in English do, but first
appears in more modern English as a technical word for the mating of
ducks.  I wonder if there was a mistake and those were really sucking
ducks.  I guess in modern English that's not very nice either, so we
wind up in the same situation either way.  You are right, Sam.  We
should stick to corn (soft corn of course).

  Dorothy