goldleaf

Peter,
        I have a question that others on the list might also have knowledge
of  or interest in.
        I've always wondered exactly what constituted the differences in
goldleaf between, say the XX Regular, the XX Glass (selected for glass
gilding, I know), and the XX Patent, when they're all 23karet?
        Which do calligraphers use, for instance, and can bookbinders use
the XX Glass on leather as well as the XX Regular, or if not, why not?
        Any explanation of the differences and/or restrictions between
these three would be much appreciated.
                                        Barbara Kretzmann