Re: exhibition fees

Yes, thanks very much to Lilias for her deliniation of the tasks involved to
put on a show - it was great, and no exxageration, (and it saves me some
typing)!

Though the Chicago Center for Book and Paper Arts is affiliated with Columbia
College, the exhibitions budget allotted to us is extremely small.  We have a
yearlong schedule of excellent book and paper arts shows, closing only in
August.  Almost all of these are curated, with a few open calls.

When the idea for a Biennial came up, we knew that by making it a juried show
we would lose some of the older, established artists who, in any case, have
ample opportunities  to exhibit.  The idea is to feature new and emerging book
and paper artists, and to help to advance the profile of the book arts in
general.  Regardless of how Venice does it, it's going to happen every two
years so it's a Biennial.  It would have been much easier to have a curated,
invitational exhibition, but we really want to see what's out there.  And,
since it is juried, it will be an exhibition based on the work itself and not
on Names.

The entry fees will cover the things Liilias mentioned, especially insurance
and shipping of accepted works*, and airfare and accomodations for the
excellent jury.
Bringing the jury together allows them to confer while viewing the work,
rather than sending each of them the slides in turn and attempting to
coordinate their decisions by email, fax and phone.  There are no plans for
awards or catalogs for this years' show (the entry fees won't stretch to
that), though there will be a brochure with an essay and plenty of exposure.
We are not a commercial gallery, but sales have been known to happen, and we
take 30%.

*It's this item alone that is forcing us to restrict the first exhibition to
the U.S.

I hope this offers some clarification re/ the Biennial & this thread.

Melissa Jay Craig