Re: goldleaf

Regular gold leaf may have some pinholes; glass leaf is higher quality
(also works fine for gilding glass); and patent is pre-burnished.

Patent gold is mostly used in outdoor applications (flutes in architectural
columns; balls on flag poles; etc.).  These tend to be oil gilded (as
contrasted with water gilding [i.e., bookbinding; picture frames;
furniture]) so the application of a heated tool or heat generated from
burnishing to produce a shine, the glister and glow which makes gold leaf
come alive, does not apply.

There is a 24 kt. gold leaf which is of interest mainly to illuminators.

Anything lower than 24 kt. is an alloy, not pure gold.

For a bookbinder, anything down to 18 kt. will work fine.  Below 18 kt. the
odds become very good that the alloy will discolor over time, the amount of
time depending largely on the amount of sulfur in the air around the gold.

Since most bookbinders gild twice, more or less in the same spot, to
achieve a solidity to the design/text, it makes good sense to purchase the
regular (cheapest) gold.

Jack

>From:    norman kretzmann <nk25@CORNELL.EDU>
>Subject: goldleaf
(snip"
>        I've always wondered exactly what constituted the differences in
>goldleaf between, say the XX Regular, the XX Glass (selected for glass
>gilding, I know), and the XX Patent, when they're all 23karet?
(snip)

Barbara Kretzmann

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217

www.teleport.com/~tcl

Chaucer, _The Parlement of Foules_ 1386.