Re: exhibition fees

>I'm not against entry fees for exhibitions as long as they aren't
exorbitant, and are >used to pay for the costs of the exhibition.

> Also on galleries who take 60% commission. Who do they think they are?

>...not to mention heart and soul that goes into our work, to have to pay a
jury fee
>just for the priviledge to enter a competition is a slap in the face.

Are we special? Dosen't everything come at a price? Just because we make art
does not mean we have any rights to free rides! Or was the assault and
battery on the NEA not clear enough for you all? Are you really entering
juried shows for the betterment of mankind... fools! You do it to make your
presence known, to keep your work alive and challenged by... yeah, the
market!

Find a patron or find a willing audience, be happy that you know how to
express and explore, how to engage thoughts and materials in self
perpetuating dialogues, that can please, challenge or enlighten, but please
stop whining. Don't exhibit, if you don't like the terms... (and if you
haven't gotten it yet, the 40% you keep should be what YOU want for the
piece... the price the buyer pays has nothing to do with your efforts, but
with the perceived value of the art, and if you're going to piss and moan
about it you're not going to do anything to boost your ratings).

Art is a part of life, and life is about ballance... like time and money...
family and personal goals... concept and materials... Go ahead, do the Van
Gogh thing if you want. I'll be one to sing your praises, and help you if I
can... but please don't pretend that the only part of this world of art and
ideas that takes courage and effort is in the making of art, and in the
conceiving of ideas. Galleries provide an important service (and if you
think it's easy start your own gallery), they should be compensated, and if
they're making out like bandits, that's their problem, and if in the process
they propel one of us into the mythical land of fleeting stardom, then God
bless them (lets face it, those big name artists are actually good, and
that's why people pay so much for their work, and that's why an industry can
be built around them, if you want a piece of that you have to work and pay
for it).

I watched the "snoots" at the Philadelphia Print Club organize their juried
shows. I'm not sure if there were fees, there should have been, those people
work their tails off to put up the best work they can find (and that doesn't
mean that what they choose is always good), and present it in a fine manner,
and bring the public in to enjoy it, and maybe buy it. If you've ever
participated in a critique, you know how hard it is to judge art... now
imagine if you've spent your professional life getting good at that (instead
of making art, say) don't you think you'd want to be compensated for it?

Well?

Go ahead, vent, I'm venting with you. No one ever told me to go out into the
world and be an artist... I've spent my entire life struggling not to listen
to "put bread on your table" lectures. It's hard work, I know. Maybe I
should have gone to med school... hey that's hard work too. We're all in the
same boat. and every one of us plays a part, and we all need to put bread on
our tables.

Thank you, I sure hope this clears the air a little... I know I feel better.
I've got to go to sleep now so I can get up in the morning, so I can go to
work for people that don't appreciate art, so I can make a little money, so
I can fix my letterpress, so I can make some art, that I might want to
exhibit someday... so I'd better save some money so I can enter the right
shows, so I can change the world, because I know how my love for ink and
paper and type can cure aids and end war, and feed the poor kids next door.
Good night.