[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: "fascicle"?
- From: "r. drake" <r.drake@CSU-E.CSUOHIO.EDU>
- Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 22:46:09 -0400
- In-Reply-To: <199804080155.VAA06114@csu-e.csuohio.edu>
- Message-Id: <199804080328.UAA14886@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.edu>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: On the web at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
that one i know: bascially, a small pamphlet (usually a single signature
in wrappers, stapled or simply sewn)--originally they were religious
tracts, distributed by chapmen, circuit riders who spread the Word by
preaching and print... john chapman, aka johnny appleseed, was one such.
quite a bit of important poetry has appeared in chapbook format over the
past 30 years or so, since it's so adaptable to cottage industry (mimeo
or xerox, as well as letterpress) production...
>can someone please define "chapbook" also?