Re: Re : Finding Fonts???

> I have my doubts about the quality of fonts or clipart that you'll get
for
> this price. The bargain font collections in this price range are all
ripped
> off fonts, either shareware or stolen freeware or worse still outright
> pirated commercial fonts.

Some fairly reputable companies produce quality budget disks (alongside
licenced new copies of old games and the like), and I haven't seen any sign
of the ones I know being prosecuted.  If they are *all* ilegitimate then
the font industry doesn't seem to be doing much to combat them.

> (And having just taken a quick look at the web site, there font
collection
> falls into the "stolen" category. Weatherly Systems, if I recall
correctly,
> has been indicated as one of the companies which has stolen fonts
outright.
> Among the samples shown, I saw fonts stolen and renamed from Bitstream,
> Image Club, Adobe et al.

Now this is worrying.  I'll contact Don off-list about this one.  If this
is true, then we really ought to let Bitstream and the others know.  There
is little point in just complaining about it, and letting it continue.

> Remember that type designers are artists also.
>
> As for clip art, the sort of stuff that you get for free is the quickest
> way to express "amateur" in your work. Anyone with a modicum of
creativity
> is better served with pen paper and a scanner. Taking a quick glimpse
> through what they had in clip art it again looked like a lot of dreck and
> public domain images.

Public domain images - such as copies of Renaissance paintings, my main
interest - are not always easy to get hold of.  I would agree that most
cartoon-style clip-art is worthless, but I would certainly pay $18 for a
disk full of out-of-copyright art, in the same way that I would pay rather
more than $18 for a carton full of old books.

> Just my opinion, but it sounds like this is far from a good deal.

On the out-of-copyright images, I would disagree.  Far easier than finding
and scanning them yourself.  If the Fonts *are* stolen then this is another
matter entirely, and if this is the case, then I apologise for recommending
this resource to the list.

Thomas Larque.