Re: Creating 'the Last Book' to Hold All the Others

Some thoughts on this thread.

Just as a point of technology, the idea of everybody storing everything in the
Library of Congress on your local computer is pointless. It gets updated all
the time and you would have a monster problem keeping up. Same with any other
database. The way we will see this happen is that we will have access to the
catalogue of each of these facilities via the net, and we can stream down any
book or portion thereof or article we want, when we want it. Same with films.
No reason even to keep a copy of the item. Stream it back down when we need
it. Delete it when we are done. It is still there. We should see this in
reality, in color, some of it in 3D, in about 4 years, maybe less. All the
technology is already here. It is a question of cost, and of scanning in all
the poop.

Further, I do not see this as a replacement for books at all. It is an
extension of the Library. If anything, it may spur a revival of the book as
contemporary literature.

Art Rubino
Numismatic & Philatelic Arts of Santa Fe
Antiquarian Booksellers

Subject:        Re: Creating 'the Last Book' to Hold All the Others

That would have been me who sent that in... Sick sense of humor? Sometimes,
oh, alright most of the time. Why did I send it ? Uh, good question. Mostly
to provoke some kind of heady debate I guess. We also had this discussion,
the future (per)mutations of the book in my art history class this week,
you know the same one I asked everyone to define the "artist's book" for.

I think these things will be developed, even into products, but at the same
time think that the obsolete materials and structures we use now will be
around much longer... A lot of this reminds me of the debate in archival  /
library circles regarding the longevity of cd-roms and other media. What's
going to decay first the hardware or the files/programs.... Doesn't matter,
both will eventually. The book, ON PAPER, will be around a lot longer. Even
a dime novel on newsprint has a longer shelf-life than cd or disk, (Doesn't
take into consideration migrating the data...).

I don't think we'll become quaint anachronisms that quickly, at least not
any worse than we already are. And as Pat Baldwin wrote yesterday, let's
not quit our day jobs...

Fire away.

Peter

>>     In schoen gebunden Buechern blaettert man gern.     <<

Peter D. Verheyen    <wk> 315.443.9937      <fax> 315.443.9510
<Email>                               mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
<Webmaster>              http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
<Listowner>    Mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@listserv.syr.edu