Re: Scan or shoot photos

Charles,

The cost of photography seems excessive to me.

Regarding scanning:  if the pages to be scanned are part of a book making them
flat enough to scan is likely the major concern of the cuator.

If you do go with photographic methods make sure that you are getting the
negatives as well as the prints.  It is the negative that should be scanned for
the best possible results.  If you use 4 x 5 negs. they will have to be scanned on
a drum scanner and the cost will probably be $50 + each.  Medium format negs
should be quite adequate.  Whichever way you choose, work backwards from the
endproduct desired or you may find yourself having to have  some things done twice
if they are not acceptable for the next stage.

Try PPA  http://www.ppa-world.org/  for a referral to a photographer in your area.
One suggestion for more info and/or referral is dscottphotoart@juno.com (DEBBIE J
SCOTT) who is in Houston.

Feel free to email me personally if I can help further.

Christine McCormick
Photographic Fine Art Service