Re: Hypertext Demands Literacy

--------------3A62948CD827D336685DD66B

> Hypertext demand literacy; it demands critical intelligence.  Just like old-
> fashioned text, it also teaches those essential skills.  Hypertext has
> precursors in printed text, but the computer has transformed those adumbrative
> impulses into something else entirely.  Hypertext is complex, dynamic,
> adaptive, aleatory and customized, a medium right in line with the most
> interesting intellectual currents we find ourselves floating upon here at the
> end of the 20th century.

  In the late 80s I was fortunate to be hired as the art director of a
magazine, Academic Computing, which was often inspirational in its
portrayals of computer usage for the advancement of education. There I
saw incredible models of hypertext and hyper linked databases and
scientific imaging projects. The concept of hypertext and hyper links
allows for designing "branching" subtexts and art to accompany a general
historical (or other disciplined) look at a subject. In this way, any
discipline could have a separate "branch", thus making the text/art
multi-discipline and much more appealing to the interdisciplinary needs
of modern trends.
In this regard a computer driven medium has some advantages over a
traditional codex. It will only supplant, not replace the textual books
we know and love today.

Darryl

--------------3A62948CD827D336685DD66B

<HTML>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>Hypertext demand literacy; it demands critical intelligence.&nbsp; Just like old-
fashioned text, it also teaches those essential skills.&nbsp; Hypertext has
precursors in printed text, but the computer has transformed those adumbrative
impulses into something else entirely.&nbsp; Hypertext is complex, dynamic,
adaptive, aleatory and customized, a medium right in line with the most
interesting intellectual currents we find ourselves floating upon here at the
end of the 20th century.</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp; In the late 80s I was fortunate to be hired as the art director
of a magazine, Academic Computing, which was often inspirational in its
portrayals of computer usage for the advancement of education. There I
saw incredible models of hypertext and hyper linked databases and scientific
imaging projects. The concept of hypertext and hyper links allows for designing
"branching" subtexts and art to accompany a general historical (or other
disciplined) look at a subject. In this way, any discipline could have
a separate "branch", thus making the text/art multi-discipline and much
more appealing to the interdisciplinary needs of modern trends.
<BR>In this regard a computer driven medium has some advantages over a
traditional codex. It will only supplant, not replace the textual books
we know and love today.

<P>Darryl</HTML>

--------------3A62948CD827D336685DD66B--