Call for Entries

Dear Friends
I just received a call from Kristina Feliciano who is working on a book
for Rockport Publishers. I offered to post her Call for Entries on the
List and here it is. Contact her for further information.
in good spirit,
Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
Newburyport, MA

CALL FOR BOOK ARTISTS

WHO:
Rockport Publishers is seeking book artists from all over the world to
feature in an upcoming art-instruction/coffee-table book called Making
Memory Books by Hand.

WHAT:
As the title suggests, the book will focus on memory books-books that
are
meant to commemorate specific occasions, events, or people, much as
scrapbooks do, but that are crafted as fine art.

Making Memory Books by Hand has been tentatively divided into the
following
categories: 1) events to remember-weddings, graduations, anniversaries,
etc.; 2) family and friends-baby books, sentimental keepsakes, college
days, "treasure boxes," parties, etc.; 3) travel-including vacations,
travel diaries, and homages to different cultures; and 4)
personal-including dream catchers and diaries.

Each category will feature approximately 3 artists, showing, through
photographs and text, the step-by-step process of making a book, from
start to finish. Each category will also include a "gallery" section
featuring examples of books in this category by a variety of artists. In
all, the
book may feature close to 40 artists or more.

HOW TO ENTER:
Entries will be accepted through May 1, although early submissions are
welcomed (if not preferred), as the book is currently under way and the
deadline for the manuscript is imminent.

To have your work considered for the book, you will need to submit the
following:

1) slides or good-quality photographs of 4-5 different books you have
created (please label all images with your name, phone number, and
address,
and the title of the work; please do not send the actual artwork)

2) some biographical information, including a resume, as well as a bit
about the kind of book art you do, your creative process, etc. (This
information does not need to be particularly lengthy or formally
presented-just give a sense of yourself and your approach to your art.)
3) a self-addressed, stamped envelope suitable for the return of your
work

As the author of the book, I ask that you direct all entries and
correspondence to me: Kristina Feliciano, 307 East 8th St., Apt. 5C, New
York, NY 10009; phone: (212) 420-9680.

EXTRA BITS:
A little about me: I worked for four years at American Artist magazine,
where I was managing editor, and recently completed editing the book The
Best of Pastel 2: Selected by the Pastel Society of America for Rockport
Publishers. It's due out this summer.

Rockport publishes fine-art and art-instruction books. Their titles
include
Making Books by Hand, The Art of Jewelry Making, and Creative Oil
Painting.

Making Memory Books by Hand represents an opportunity to demonstrate-and
celebrate-book art. It's my aim to show a sampling of the best memory
books
out there. I look forward to hearing from you.