[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Source of exotic leathers (*not for the over-sensitive*)
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: Source of exotic leathers (*not for the over-sensitive*)
- From: Thomas Larque <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 23:57:15 +0100
- Message-Id: <199804142257.PAA11916@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.edu>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: On the web at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
There is one source of exotic leather which you probably shouldn't consider.
On a trip to see one of the Castles which has served as a jail and place of
execution over the centuries (Lancaster Castle, I think) I saw an
interesting display of "execution memorobilia" - which included last
letters, used hangman's nooses, the brief records of the day's hangings and
the like ... and a book, which one of the Prison Warders had made, and bound
with the flayed skin of a hanged man.
What lovely things our ancestors got up to.