Re: Cyrano de Bergerac Centenial

Sam asked about the sponsors of the Cyrano centenary binding competition,
and specifically about entering just to get a copy of the book.

Unless you're a collector of editions of Cyrano, or the works of Edmond
Rostand (or have money to throw away), it strikes me as an expensive way to
buy a pig in a poke, ie: a set of sheets, sight unseen. Although the flyer
says the book is typeset in lead and printed in the old style
(letterpress?), there's no indication of a well-known private press
involvement, and no illustrations mentioned, other than the colour photo.
The French text indicates a limitation of 1000 copies. I presume the book
is in French and the flyer says it has been "reedited" by the sponsors.
Judging by other French editions de luxe I have seen, you wouldn't be
buying it for innovative or exceptional typography.

Having said that, this is the fifth competition (I remember putting an
announcement for the competition in our newsletter last year), so I presume
it is legitimate and not just a scam to sell unbound books.

Cheers,
Richard.

Richard Miller <rmiller@peterboro.net>

The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild website:
<http://www.cbbag.ca>