Binding-On-Demand

     Being strictly a commercial binder not a printer I can not comment
very well on printing-on-demand, but what I can say is that we do
binding-on-demand.  As an example, we do soft cover perfect binding for a
professor at the U. of MN. who publishes his own text books.  I assume he
has copies run off at a local Kinko's or some such.  Every quarter he
brings us 3, 5, 15, or however many he needs for his class.  Twenty-four
hours later he's got his books.  We use in house, unprinted, 80-100 lb
cover stock unless the customer has their own covers printed.  We've even
done just one book on occasion; they're a pain but we can do it.  We also
bind hardcover theses for customers.  As long as the book comes to us
totally prepared for binding (i.e. collated, proper margins, etc.) they
have a hard cover buckram binding with spine and/or cover stamping in two
days.
     With the new Xerox Docutec copiers there has been much talk in the
commercial binding community about large scale binding-on-demand.  A very
similar scenario as first mentioned with a customer requesting a book the
store doesn't carry.  The store places an order with the publisher and a
few short days later there is a book ready.  The concept is that through
out the country there may be three to five requests at a time for books not
just one, but who knows.  The big leap is for the publishers to give up the
notion that they can have their books for a few cents each with this
scheme.  Beyond that it's mostly the mechanics of the process; which is in
it self no small task.
     Quick survey, would three to five days an acceptable turn around to
wait for an otherwise out of print book?  How about a week or two?

Happiness bought and paid for
is happiness none the less.

Duncan
<dmc@minn.net>