Human Skin Bindings

The University of Georgia also has a book with an anthropodermic
binding. It is probably the most famous (perhaps infamous would be
more accurate) piece in the Rare Book section of the Hargrett
Library. It is one of the "highlights" for the library given during
tours for prospective students and is invariably mentioned at least
once per year in the student newspaper here. As a result, we often
have curiosity-seekers who come in to see it. I decided to print up
a short handout on binding in human skin to pass out when the book
is viewed. To prepare the informational sheet, I consulted Walter
Blumenthal's _Bookman's Bedlam_ which is chockful of interesting
info. There was also a long thread about this topic on EXLIBRIS. If
anyone is interested in reading more about this, EXLIBRIS is
archived at