Sculpted leather covers

I am interested in attempting a sculpted leather binding.  I am not
sure just *what* to put under the leather.  I discussed this with a
clerk at my local art store and he suggested Sculptey, a clay that
can be formed, baked at a low temp and then drilled and sanded.

I worry about the long term effect of a product like this.  Does
anyone have any ideas about this - or perhaps a better idea.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Artemis BonaDea
North Bound Books
Anchorage, AK