Re: Bodies & Religions

>From death, you numberless infinities
Of souls, and to your scattered bodies go . . .John Donne

        After carefully looking up Pamela Rups' email address in the GBW
directory, carefully avoiding the reply button, and carefully addressing
my question about Christian ideas concerning their earthly remains to
her, I still managed to send to the whole list. I'm baffled and
chagrined. Apologies.
        Nonetheless, I received some interesting responses. We'll quickly
be back to the practical issues of sewing structures and whether or not
to skin Uncle Larry, but for a moment we've transcended even the topic of
Art to briefly soar to the questions of human existence: )  I'm
embarrassed to think I might have given an impression of Christian
thought that just isn't so.  I didn't make myself or my question very
clear .... As a thorough-going supernaturalist who believes in the virgin
birth, the physical resurrection of Christ, etc., I too believe in a
general resurrection.  Christians speak of being resurrected with a
"glorified" body... a resurrection that, in its particulars, is a
mystery, but one that implies a perfected, non-corruptible state. Thus
far, I've run across no one, patristic or modern, that has suggested an
amputee needs to be buried with what is left of his leg; God won't need
help sorting out the pieces. The ancients understood this perhaps even
better than we:they were men who lived experientially with death and
decay: they understood decomposition, the return of the physical body to
the earth, and yet believed that God would give them a new body at the
resurrection. How?
        My question to Pamela was for the continuance of my education:
what Christian denominations is she aware of that teach one "might not
make it at all" if they are missing their kidneys, their corneas, their
skin? If any one else can answer, please post me off list. (Sorry for the
off-topic question, Peter.)

Bob Roberts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]