Re: Bodies & Rel. also Metal Covers

As for the metal covers on book such as the wedding albums.  How is care taken
to ensure that the metal covers or not sharp
 on the edges especially the corners?  Are they curved over the boards? I have
never worked with metal as a material myself,
so this may be a very basic query.

Jen G.

The following pertains to the query about religions.

>  "Certain Christian denominations and other religions believe that the
actual body
> will be used in the afterlife.  If the body is cut up or parts are
> removed, you'd spend eternity in poor condition or maybe not make it
> all." I'd not heard such an opinion in Christendom, though my experience
> and reading is primarily with the English-speaking, post reformation
> branch... Puritans, etc.

I did some digging around in the Catholic Catechism (the teachings of the Roman
Catholic Church).  I looked this up because since i myself am Catholic, I know
cremation is allowed by the church, thus destroying the physical body.  So,
literally needing your body to be rejoined with later in the afterlife would
not be possible.  Below are some excerts from the catechism explaining catholic
beliefs and teachings about afterlife, etc.  Sorry about the length, and again
I only speak from a catholic viewpiont, and by no means do i wish to impose my
beliefs on others.  This is just for historical clarification.

>From the Catholic Catechism Chapter 2 - Article 7.2

997 What is "rising"? In death, the separation of the soul from the body, the
human body decays and the soul goes to
meet God, while awaiting its reunion with its glorified body. God, in his
almighty power, will definitively grant incorruptible
life to our bodies by reuniting them with our souls, through the power of
Jesus' Resurrection.
998 Who will rise? All the dead will rise, "those who have done good, to the
resurrection of life, and those who have done
evil, to the resurrection of judgment."[550]
999 How? Christ is raised with his own body: "See my hands and my feet, that it
is I myself";[551] but he did not return to
an earthly life. So, in him, "all of them will rise again with their own bodies
which they now bear," but Christ "will change
our lowly body to be like his glorious body," into a "spiritual body":[552]
But someone will ask, "How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they
come?" You foolish man! What you sow
does not come to life unless it dies. And what you sow is not the body which is
to be, but a bare kernel ....What is sown
is perishable, what is raised is imperishable.... The dead will be raised
imperishable.... For this perishable nature must
put on the imperishable, and this mortal nature must put on immortality.[553]

If there are any queries regarding this post, please send them to me off-line.
This is a book arts list afterall.

What a lot of things there are a man can do without.
- Socrates

Jennifer Gorman
Professional Information Developer
IBM