Two-needle Coptic Sewing

 I read your description with interest, Lyle, and two things come to
mind.  First is that most coptic sewings do have multiple threads in the
first and last gatherings because of the board attachment, so I wouldn't
think that it necessarily indicates a "mistake" in your model if you
have such multiples.  Second is that, given its date, the Stoneyhurst
was vellum and more likely sewn with a bristle than a needle which is
probably why your paper model seems too loose.  Jack Thompson is the
list guy to speak to that, not me, but you need to do some kind of
compensating if the implement you are using as your thread's leader is
thicker than the thread.  Or you could try forcing a little thick PVA
into the sewing holes after you have cinched the stitches to keep them
tight around the thread. Or learn to love it a little loose.
  Cheers!
  Dorothy Africa