Re: Two-needle Coptic Sewing

Dorothy Africa wrote:
>I read your description with interest, Lyle, and two things come to
>mind.  First is that most coptic sewings do have multiple threads in the
>first and last gatherings because of the board attachment, so I wouldn't
>think that it necessarily indicates a "mistake" in your model if you
>have such multiples.

I agree.  Certainly I get this result when I'm doing a 4-needle sewing.
What's curious to me is that the descriptions that I'm working from
doesn't mention this (one is an essay by Roger Powell).

>Second is that, given its date, the Stoneyhurst
>was vellum and more likely sewn with a bristle than a needle which is
>probably why your paper model seems too loose.

You know, I just sent a message to Roberta Lavadour about my intention
to use a bristle instead of a steel needle.

Are you referring to the looseness where the thread is anchored (which I
solved simply by running the thread through the hole an extra turn), or
the looseness of the first gathering?  The text block is actually quite
tight.  It's only the first gathering that is loose, because it is only
connected to the second gathering at two of the four sewing stations.
It tends to fall forward from the spine.

>...you need to do some kind of
>compensating if the implement you are using as your thread's leader is
>thicker than the thread.

One of the handbooks that I have makes reference to having the hole of a
sewing station be the same size, if not slightly smaller, than the
thread.  I suppose I could get around this in this case by doubling my
thread in the needle for the moment.

>Or you could try forcing a little thick PVA
>into the sewing holes after you have cinched the stitches to keep them
>tight around the thread. Or learn to love it a little loose.

Well, I suppose I _could_ do that. ;-)

Lyle H. Gray
lyle@quodata.com                                Non animam contine.
--