Re: "Perfect" replacements for "perfect" bindings.

>In the "I don't want to preserve the original binding" department, I have
>several cheaply bound (Japan publications) books of low cost that having had a
>few days use are coming apart.  Since I can easily buy a "storage" copy of
>these books, I am looking to rebind them in a way that is both functional
>(close to lay flat) and lasting (so I don't have to rebind again in a year (or
>less!)).  I have several older books that I've asked various parties for binds
>on restoring, but these books I would like to "play" with.  Searching the
>book_arts-l archive for "perfect" and "rebind" (with various suffices and
>spacings/dashes) seemed to yeild little info.  Any suggestions?  I'm tempted to
>use one of Keith Smith's lay flat non-adhesive bindings, but wanted to also
>find out what (if anything) others have done in similar situations.
>
>Thanks,
>        -Doug

Depending on the overall condition of your pages double-fan adhesive
binding may work.  Double-fan binding is an adhesive binding process
developed to combat the necessary photocopying of library periodicals.  It
allows for the continued opening and laying flat that is inherent in
photocopying with minimal to no damage to the binding structure.  The
process is young in binding terms, 8-10 years, but the results look good
from an archival standpoint.  The people in the lab tell us that the
adhesive will out last the pages of the book plus the adhesive is
formulated to be always and forever flexible, unlike some hot-melt perfect
binding glues.  The biggest obstacle with fan-binding is the paper itself.
It can not be clay coated (i.e. Time, Newsweek, etc.) and can not be overly
brittle.  To test your pages dog ear a corner and fold it back and forth
three times.  If the corner falls off on the first fold fan-binding will
not work for long.  The pages will be bound successfully but they will
eventually break off at the spine.  If the corner doesn't break until the
last fold the book will last longer depending on use.  Finally, and
obviously, if the corner remains attached you have yourself a good
candidate for fan-binding.  Traditional rounding and backing works with
this process but is not as dramatic as with sewing.

Is this what you're looking for?  Want info on specifics of the process?

Happiness bought and paid for
is happiness none the less.

Duncan
<dmc@minn.net>