Re: "Perfect" replacements for "perfect" bindings.

The guy who "discovered" the double fan adhesive method was Emil Lumbeck.

As for rubber bindings, they're officially called caoutchouc bindings. A
complete description can be found in "Bookbinding and the Conservation of
Books: A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology." The URL for this specific
citation is <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt0574.html>. Nope
they're not very archival, but the "glue" flakes off very easily and
cleanly and makes guarding and preping to resew easy.

p.