Re: "Perfect" replacements for "perfect" bindings.

>Woops, should have been more accurate and said:  For us the process is
>young, 8-10 years,
>
>I got carried away.  Sorry.  But your notice made me do some informal
>checking.  I found that fan binding has been recorded as far back as the
>mid to late forties and that it's German technology.

BB Planatol is the adhesive made in Germany especially for glued bindings.
Planatol is available from Gane Bros. & Lane.

>I was told that there was also someone who, at the turn of the century,
developed a>method of binding books with rubber?!  Not very archival.

The caoutchhouc (rubber) binding was invented in England, the first
commercial example produced in 1838.
Bernard Middleton discusses the binding, and its repair, in his
"Restoration of Leather Bindings."  You're right, Duncan; not onlly was the
binding not archival, it fell apart as soon as the rubber deteriorated.

Betty Storz
storz@mcn.org