fan binding....

Another tip... instead of adding on the endsheet folios (mentioned by Peter)
while applying the glue, you can simply add a waste sheet (best if its a
card stock, or chipboard) front and back. After the book has dried, you can
pull these off and tip on your endsheets.

" I do this by hand, though, with a brush and use my
fingers to wipe off any excess adhesive which might have gotten on the
surface of the front and back page."

another note- commercial library binderies have been using this (fan
binding) as an alternative to the infamous oversewing for many years now as
well. They use the 'stretch cloth' mentioned to allow a machine-produced
rounding and backing. I don't know where to get this, but it is different
from standard mull material.

Scott Kellar