Re: "Perfect" replacements for "perfect" bindings.

In a message dated 4/25/98 3:43:46 PM, Duncan wrote:

>There was some mention that notching wouldn't do much for the binding.  In
>general I agree, in fact the hand process described involved no notching
>what so ever.  However, the notching does allow for more surface area to be
>covered by the glue. I assume that this means that there would be a better
>hold on the notched book.  But there are times when notching is more
>harmful to the book and we go without.  Truthfully I don't notice a
>difference myself but I have to go with the odds that more surface area
>means more hold.

 Apropos machine notched bindings, a variation that I have not seen mentioned
is a hand process I learned from the late Bill Anthony.   Just before glueing
up the spine, saw in about 1/32 to 1/16 spaced as you would sewing stations.
Immediately after glueing, into each saw cut lay a length of Bookbinders linen
twine long enough to  hang over each side about 1 1/2 inches. With finger,
rub a little glue over the freshly laid in twine. When all is dry, fray out
the cords and paste them to the endsheet paste down.  This gives a good deal
of extra strength.

Norma Rubovits