Where cloth and paper meet

I am making a series of portfolios that have a bookcloth spine and either
a strip along the fore edge like a half bound book or triangles on the
corner like a quarter bound book.  I have found ways to do this, but I
suspect that if I were watching half a dozen skilled binders doing the
same task I would pick upsome useful tricks.  Since that is not an option
I thought I would describe what I'm doing and ask for feedback and
suggestions.

I have two questions in particular--
   1.  Making the join between the paper and the book cloth
   2.  Getting the glued piece of paper the exact size and down in the
          exact place

I am working with two pieces of Davey board.  The bookcloth extends an
inch and a half onto the covers at both the spine and the foreedge.  No
problems there.  Now to put the paper between the cloth.  I'm using
fairly heavy paper(not cover weight but substantial and paper I know
behaves well when clued).  Should the paper overlap the cloth by an
eighth of an inch or so?  But it makes a ridge which is ugly.  I have a
nifty little tool from bookmakers that is like a bone folder only metal
that I use to make a depressed line where the paper should go.  Seems
like I've seen Artemis then cut away the bookcloth (in the line?  almost
to the line?)

But then if you're setting the paper between two strips of cloth you'd
have to be impossibly precise.  One approach I've come up with that dos
work is to brush glue onto one edge of the paper only about half an inch
in, then position and glue the paper to one edge.  Once that is in place
you can lay the paper down and see exactly where it needs to be cut on
the other side.  That is how I did the quarter triangles and it worked.
Then you lift the paper and glue the board and almost up to the cloth and
on the paper for the half inch on the edge so there is good contact all
along the edge.  Then lay it down, smooth it and nip it.

This does seem to work, but I wondered if there is a more elegant
solution?  Trying to glue up the whole sheet and just lay it down in the
right place is a lot easier in concept than in reality, especially with a
paper that doesn't "slip" or that stretches or gets air bubbles.

I know this is an awfully basic question--but it is so basic it is worth
doing well!  (Note--I didn't even touch the issue of whether the glue
should be on the board or the cloth.  The decision is being made by
practicality, not which stretches most.)  Anyway, if I've given enough
information for a coherent answer I'd appreciate suggestions and suspect
some others out there might too.

Joyce Jenkins
Petersburg, Alaska