Re: teaching bookmaking

Dear Friends
        Here is a list of tools and materials that i wrote up for the teachers
I work with. Hope you find it helpful. It might not make as much sense
to you, as you haven't seen the specific books we're making. I try to
standardize the sizes. I have most of my paper precut by a printer. It
costs some money, but it's worth it. I was spending more preparing
materials than I was teaching. Even with improvements, I find the
packing a drag and am trying to organize it even more so I can put my
kids to work.

in good spirit,
Susan
Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
Newburyport, MA

MAKING BOOKS
SUSAN’S TRAVELING WORKSHOP

THE TOOLS

These are each in a clear plastic shoebox. In the studio, they’re on the
shelf. When I travel, they are packed in a raised lid Rubbermaid box.
* Scissors

* Hole Punches

* Glue Sticks: I prefer UHU color. It goes on purple so it’s easy to see
and dries clear. I buy the small size, .26 oz., from Staples in packs of
20 ($9.95) or from Quill Corporation, 1-800-789-1331, ( $.39 each for 20
or more). Quill carries all kinds of office supplies and has free
shipping on orders over $45.00. Ask the school office. They may have a
catalog or order from them.

* Sewing Sets: Ziploc plastic sandwich bags for each set of materials. I
find it’s very easy to lose tools with all the pieces. The bags help and
I now put a printed list of the tools on cardstock in the bag. To make
holes, I use nails with wood as a hammer for Japanese bindings and push
pins and cardboard for pamphlet bindings.
        1 size 16 Tapestry Needle ( I purchase them at JoAnn Fabrics in packs
of 5 for        $1.25.)
        1 nail
        2 clothespins
        1 small pencil: for marking the holes.
        1 push pin
        1 small piece of cardboard about 2” x 4”

* Blocks of Wood: about 3” x 8” x 1” each. They are used in sets of two,
one to protect the table, the other as a hammer.

* Scrap Paper: for gluing. I use old phone book pages, old catalog pages
(watch out for underwear), or used 8 1/2_” x 11” paper.

* Rulers: Although I try to avoid measuring, I sometimes use them to
mark the holes for the Oriental sewn binding. An alternative is to make
strips of oaktag or cover stock to use as a guide. I make mine 1/2” wide
and the height of the book. I mark where I want the holes.

THE MATERIALS:

In the studio, I store my materials in plastic drawers that I purchased
in WalMart. When I travel, I pack the materials in Rubbermaid boxes with
lids.

PAPER
* White 11” x 17” copy paper: I buy it at Staples or locally.

* Use full size for large sewn Oriental binding and 8 page booklet.

* Cut in half vertically (5 1/2_ x 17) for accordions.

* Cut into 4 1/4_ x 17 for triangle accordions.

* Cut into 1 3/4_” x 17 for wish scrolls.

* Colored 11 x 17” paper: for covers of sewn Oriental binding

* 5 1/2” x 17” Cover Stock, heavy weight paper, white and in colors

* Use full size for accordion books.

* Cut into 5 1/2_ x 5 1/2_ squares for triangle accordion covers.

*  1 3/4_” x 8” cover stock, I usually use white: for palm leaf and slat
books

* 4 1/2_” x 5 3/4_” cover stock in colors: for accordion covers

TIES

* Cutting Cardboard for Yarn and Ribbon: I use pieces of heavy
corrugated cardboard cut to the appropriate length for cutting yarn and
ribbon. I wrap the yarn or ribbon around the cardboard, then cut it at
the top and bottom.

* Yarn: best for Chinese slat book (36”) and palm leaf (12”). I buy it
at K-Mart or WalMart.

* Ribbon: I am always keeping my eyes open for cheap ribbon. I can
usually find 10 yard rolls for 2/$1.00 at WalMart. JoAnn Fabrics and the
Ribbon Outlet occasionally have 3/$1.00 sales. Buy lots when you can.

* For accordion ties, I use 1/8” ribbon 24” long.

* For threading it through accordion with slits, I use _” ribbon 36”
long. I don’t use the wrapping cardboard method for these. It is easiest
to thread the ribbon through the slits if it is cut on an angle.

* Crochet cotton:

* For Oriental stitched binding with 8 _ x 11 paper, I use 36”.

* For Oriental binding with 11 x 17 paper, I use 40”.

* For wish scroll, I use 36”.

OTHER
* Pony Beads: for palm leaf books and wish scrolls and to have fun tying
them onto any book. I buy them at WalMart.

* Film Containers: I use empty film containers for the wish scrolls from
Ethiopia. Places that print photos on the premises usually have lots
that they recycle. They should be willing to give you quantities for
free.

FOR ILLUSTRATIONS

* Collage Papers: I cut up any interesting colored paper- wrapping
paper, paper bags, origami paper, art papers, etc.- into squares of
about 3”. I find that the smaller size wastes less paper and seems to
stimulate creativity in a way that large pieces of paper don’t.

* Rubber Stamps: Rubber stamps are fun sources of imagery. They can be
used for pictures or for pattern in borders. They provide an alternative
for those lacking in artistic confidence. They are expensive, but I
think worth the investment. However, kids can make a mess of them
quickly as the ink from the stamp pads gets on their fingers and then
onto everything else. I cover the top of my stamps with clear contact
paper before I let anyone use them. I sort my stamps by theme- Flowers
and Leaves, Animals, In the Sky, Dinosaurs, Patterns, etc.- and keep
them on plastic plates. On each plate, I put a label with the Theme and
cover it with clear contact paper. I store each plate in its own ziploc
bag  with a label covered with clear contact paper.

* Stencils: Dover Little Activity Books has a series of Fun with
Stencils books. They are 4 3/16” x 5 _” and have 6 pre-cut stencils.
There are ones on Dinosaurs, Flowers, Northwest Indian, Pirates, and
many more. I’ve seen them in bookstores, card shops, and toy stores. I
also buy letter stencils and other plastic stencils. I have made
stencils by tracing cookie cutters onto poster board, cutting the image
with an exacto knife, and protecting them with clear contact paper. I
also made a series of sea life stencils by tracing pictures from books
and transferring them to poster board. I received a suggestion to use
plastic container lids for a more durable stencil, but I haven’t tried
it yet.

* Markers: I like markers for writing and for the vibrancy of color in
drawing. However, they can bleed through so I test the marker first on
an extra piece of paper if I am going to be writing on both sides of the
paper. Because a lot of the pages are small, it’s good to have some with
smaller tips. For the writing, it may be helpful to write the text
lightly in pencil, proofread it, and then go over it in marker. Whiteout
should be used cautiously. Test it first with the marker on scrap paper.

* Colored pencils: Colored pencils are a good choice. While they won’t
bleed through, some care should be taken to not press too hard when
writing on both sides of the paper. Drawings can be made in colored
pencil or with a dark marker and colored in.

© 1996 Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord