Re: Non-gold foil

Yes, Ron, there are other kinds and colors of foil.  Artificial gold is
available for use on paper, book cloth, leatherette, etc., but real gold
must be used on leather because the artificial will turn green on leather.
Talas lists black, brown, green orange red ,white and yellow foils, plus
glitter gold and silver in their catalog.  I've forgotten where I bought 23
karet gold from, but I remember it was available in several shades,
antique, bronze, etc.

I use so little of the foil that it lasts for years.  Most of what I have
came with the used machines I inherited.  Perhaps others on the list can
quote sources.

Don't be apologetic, Ron.  I joined the list because I need to know more
about bookbinding and I'm all alone in my neck of the woods.  I've learned
so much in the past few months.  I'm grateful to all of you.

Betty
storz@mcn.org