Re: Non-gold foil

Thanks, Betty!

Actually, your reply was definitely helpful, although perhaps I should've
been more specific in my question. As opposed to what *could* be used, what
is available to be used, what I was looking for was what *was* used
traditionally, say, in the 18th or 19th century, by hand bookbinders, what
would be a *typical* alternative "foil" in place of gold foil -- especially
if there was one type/colour that was used more than any other (after, of
course, gold). Like, is there such a thing as "silver foil"? I have no idea.

Sorry, Betty, I suppose I should've been more clear in that I was looking
for an historical sort of answer, as opposed to a more practical one.
Thanks again for your answer though, because in a 'round-about way it does
help.

Ron :)

At 11:15 06/05/98 -0700, Betty Storz wrote:
>Yes, Ron, there are other kinds and colors of foil.  Artificial gold is
>available for use on paper, book cloth, leatherette, etc., but real gold
>must be used on leather because the artificial will turn green on leather.
>Talas lists black, brown, green orange red ,white and yellow foils, plus
>glitter gold and silver in their catalog.  I've forgotten where I bought 23
>karet gold from, but I remember it was available in several shades,
>antique, bronze, etc.
>
>I use so little of the foil that it lasts for years.  Most of what I have
>came with the used machines I inherited.  Perhaps others on the list can
>quote sources.
>
>Don't be apologetic, Ron.  I joined the list because I need to know more
>about bookbinding and I'm all alone in my neck of the woods.  I've learned
>so much in the past few months.  I'm grateful to all of you.
>
>Betty
>storz@mcn.org

                       P  S  Y  M  O  N  ?  ?  ?  ?
                       http://home.istar.ca/~psymon