Re: exhibition fees

Dear Melissa:
 BOOK EXPLORATIONS '98 was well received and the books were outstanding.
We were very pleased with the response and hope that next year all prizes
will be monetary.  Instead of losing $500, it was only about $250 ( not
including about 200 hours of volunteer labor, of course.)

Unfortunately the book artists had great expense with entry fee,two-way
shipping and insurance if they so wished. Did you ever think of this: That
it is the public who comes to view the art that really should pay the
expenses ?!!!!!
Such is art.
    The U.S. Mail was great...only a few boxes were a little dog-eared and
it was really interesting to see that the small books just wrapped in
bubble wrap and placed in a mailing envelope came through just fine to us
!! Other books were wraped and rewrapped, boxed and reboxed, with plastic
peanuts, etc. in between...a herculean task of packing, both ways, but
seemingly lot less risky than an envelope.  Had only one complaint,so far,
on the return of a book -  thankfully  somewhat minor, but the complaint
was justified.

The press, including the major Boston Globe  were wonderful...most included
one of the photos I sent them of a particular book along with a commentary. A
follow up story, with picture, was slightly erroneous...we must try to get the
press interviewers to show or call us about their article before it goes to
press !  It is carelessness on THEIR part, but makes the interviewee look
bad.  The local radio  stations and local cable were cooperative, too.

I would suggest to anyone running an exhibit to allow about 4 weeks lead
time between deadline and actual opening, and get the judges right in there
immediately after delivery of the artworks....everything takes longer than
you expect.  In retrospect, it was really a lot of fun , and MANY THANKS to
all of you out there on the List who sent in your exquisite artwork to share.
Although Peter V. advised that it is customary to publish a catalog it was
impossible this year....so we are looking for some outside funding for
BOOK EXPLORATIONS  '99.

Cheers - Lilias

Original note to Lilias from Melissa: