Re: Electric knives (was Foam wedges)

Yes!,  I stand corrected...I meant to say ugly electric knife in the bolt
it to the wall case from Sears etc....

Twenty-five years ago, a good friend of mine was home from school for his
first, post-high school thanksgiving dinner.  As a first semester student
at the C.I.A. (Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park NY, this
countries finest chef's school) my friend was enrolled in a "Meats" class.
So impressed with his son's new academic standing, the soon to be chef's
father (who was not a man to give up his tools easily ) announced to the
large family gathering, that this year, the son would carve the bird.

A bit cautiously the my friend asked for his father's and family's
indulgence, while he rushed up to his old bedroom to fetch his own personal
chef's knives, a set of professional tools, required technology back at
school.  Returning to the head of the table, like a 15th century anatomist
he proceeded to make a few carefully selected cuts in and around the bird
with a small and unusually under whelming knife.  Within seconds, he
reached with is cleanest hand deep in the exposed cavity of the creature
(like a drunk veterinarian delivering a calf) and with one, clean, jerking
twist, he removed the entire skeletal structure from the turkeyin one
intact piece, like some weird organic sculpture, leaving a steaming,
football-shaped mound of poultry, perfectly centered on the carving plate,
like a bronzed-skin Hindenberg, out of gas.

That day MeatMan was born and walked erect!  So shocked was the assembled
gathering that he promised his parents that he "WOULD NEVER PULL THAT SMART
LITTLE TRICK AGAIN!"

I've never been able to get him to show me how it's done! And I can even
experiment!

Not to be outdone, the next year I carved place card holders from blocks of
spam, complete with tiny paper drumstick caps for heat deflectors.  One
gand mother thought it was chopped liver and tried to eat it!  Strange
customs.

Michael Morin
married to vegetarian