Re: a new law of nature

Yes indeed.  And a corollary of this law is that the headband (or endband)
that you sew for the foot of the spine will always be much neater than the
one you sew for the head of the spine.  I was taught to do the one at the
foot first, with the expectation that the one at the head, which "showed",
would be better....

        Cheers,

        Patricia

At 09:18 AM 5/20/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I've discovered a new law of nature--well, I'm not sure what to call it.
>It's along the lines of Murphy's Law and the Peter Principle. Here it is.
>
>If you are binding a book that is front/back symmetrical, the back *always*
>turns out better.
>
>This law cannot be broken. It doesn't matter whether you are tooling,
>laying in endsheets, mitreing leather corners, the back is better. It also
>doesn't matter whether you do the back first (as I was taught) or try to
>fool the gods by doing the front first. Sigh.
>
>Steve

>Steven D. Hales
>Assistant Professor                     email: hales@planetx.bloomu.edu
>Department of Philosophy                phone: (717) 389-4229
>Bloomsburg University                   fax: (717) 389-2094
>Bloomsburg, PA 17815

Patricia L. Chalmers                  email:  pchalmers@admin.ukings.ns.ca
Assistant Librarian                   Phone:  (902)422-1271 ext. 174
University of King's College          Fax:    (902)423-3357
Halifax,Nova Scotia
CANADA B3H 2A1